You can get water off the pool cover in many ways, including manual cleanup, vacuuming, or pumping it with an automatic device. But the best way to get water off pool cover is to use an automatic device such as a pool cover pump.
The Best Way To Get Water Off Pool Cover
1. Manually Siphoning the Water
Siphoning water manually requires a few steps, but it’s relatively simple. The first thing you need to do is connect your garden hose to a water spigot. Then, turn on the faucet and place the other side under the water on top of the water pool cover. Let it run for a minute until you stop seeing bubbles forming in the hose. Once done, detach the hose from its original spot.
2. Using a Pool Cover Pump
This is the simplest way of eliminating pool cover problems, and we highly recommend using a pool cover pump. Simply attach your garden hose to the pump, plug it in, and lower it onto the pool cover. You can start pumping as soon as you hear the motor come on. Here is a step-by-step guide to help you through the process:
Step 1: Connect the Hose to the Pump
When connecting your hose to the pump, take note of the condition of both the hose and pipe. If there are any kinks in either one, disconnect them and ensure they are perfectly connected before turning on the water.
Step 2: Locate a Good Place to Drain the Hose’s Water
Angle the other end of your hose pipe in an area where the excess water can drain away. You could let it run out into a bucket, pot, or sink and use this water again if you are interested in saving money and recycling.
Step 3: Overlay the Pool Cover with the Pump
Place the pump on top of the pool cover beneath the water. Plug it into an electrical socket for power. Place a lid beneath the pump if you own a mesh or semi-mesh pool cover to avoid draining your pool water.
Step 4: Pump the Water
Monitor your pump when you turn it on so that pool water can drain properly. This is important because a blockage in the garden pipe or a failure to drain the water may cause your pump to burn out.
Step 5: Pump Removal
Once the water has drained, remove the water pump and wipe it well before storing it safely. Next, roll up your pool cover, ready for next season.
Best Pool Cover Color
Protect your pool against the sun’s harmful rays with a solar pool cover. A solar cover protects water from depletion caused by the sun, heat, and other factors. Depending on the color of the pool cover, there may be a difference in the rate at which chemicals are used up. Therefore, it’s best to know what pool color you need before purchasing one.
Solar pool covers are available in many colors, including dark blue, light blue, and translucently clear:
- SAVE ON HEATING COSTS - Sun2Solar clear solar blankets are made from a film of thousands of tiny bubbles, which work together to collect and retain heat in your pool at night and on those chilly days. The clear color allows the sun’s UV rays to penetrate deeper into your swimming pool for warmer water temperatures. Pay less and swim more.
- MINIMIZE WATER EVAPORATION - The use of a solar cover helps in preventing pool water evaporation. When not enjoying a refreshing swim, keeping your pool covered lessens the vast amount of water lost into the environment. Fill up your swimming pool less and enjoy it more!
Sun2solar’s clear solar covers provide energy by providing more light into the water. As a result of allowing more light into the solar cover and allowing hot air to escape, clear solar covers don’t trap as much heat as other colors. Clear solar covers reduce the amount of chlorine needed per month by transmitting most UV rays into the water.
- 【Perfect Design & Keep Heat】This pool heater cover is made up of thousands of blue bubble membranes, which can lock the temperature of your swimming pool during the cold winter and summer, and also block the outside dust and other access to the swimming pool, which is safer and more environmental.
- 【Minimize Water Evaporation】This solar blanket can helps you reduces pool water evaporation, so you don't need to add water again every time you swim, avoiding wasting water. When you're not swimming, simply cover your pool with this pool heater and keep your pool covered to reduce the amount of water lost.
Bigxwell dark blue pool solar covers are the most efficient at preventing heat from escaping your pool. Although dark-colored pool covers absorb more of the sun’s rays, they do not trap as much heat as light-colored pool covers. The best solar cover for heat gain is clear, while the best for heat retention is dark blue.
- ATTRACTIVE BLUE DESIGN - Sun2Solar solar blankets are made from a film of thousands of tiny bubbles, which work together to collect and retain heat both at night and on those chilly days. The blue color provides an appealing look while also using the sun’s rays to help warm your swimming pool.
- MINIMIZE WATER EVAPORATION - The use of a solar cover helps in preventing up to 95% of pool water evaporation. When not enjoying a refreshing swim, keeping your pool covered lessens the vast amount of water lost into the environment. Fill up your swimming pool less and enjoy it more!
Sun2solar light blue solar pool covers are effective because they trap more heat in the pool while also blocking UV rays. However, they also block some natural heat from entering your pool, leaving it cooler than usual.
Overall, we advise using pool covers in shades of gray and black since they go well with most color schemes and backyards. They also do better against UV fading and do not readily show dirt. However, as green and blue tones are the most common on the market, you can opt for these.
The Best Pool Cover To Prevent Evaporation
- CONSERVES ENERGY – This 14-mil blanket covers your swimming pool and employs solar heating to increase the water temperature by up to 15 degrees Fahrenheit.
- MINIMIZES HEAT LOSS: Our insulating thermal bubbles provide effective heating all summer long. This blanket is packed with innovative cells ensuring your swimming pool stays warm through cool nights and cloudy days.
This solar cover will raise the temperature of your pool’s water by at least 15 degrees. It prevents up to 95% of heat loss and costs through evaporation. Plus, it comes with an extended six-year warranty from the manufacturer!
It is an inexpensive way to keep your pool warm during the day and reduce water and chemical evaporation at night. We recommend this easy-to-install translucent solar blanket because of its quality and durability. Moreover, it is excellent for both in-ground and above-ground pools.
Best Solar Cover Reel For Inground Pool
- DURABLE, MAINTENANCE-FREE, RUST-FREE CONSTRUCTION. Excellent value when compared to other reels. 3-section aluminum pipe design. Grooved reel tube design to avoid strap fall off. It's thick and relatively solid, the legs are stainless, the reel is aluminum, so nothing can rust, wheels are made of large full solid tires, so this reel will durable.
The Vingli Solar In Ground Cover Reel provides the best value for your money. Its quality construction ensures it lasts longer than less expensive models, which drop straps during use or break under stress. It is also weather resistant and has anti-slip feet. Aside from having a sleek design that won’t rust over time as many others do, it also rotates smoothly, so you can change its position without breaking a sweat.
Drying out every last bit of water from your pool could be tedious if done manually, so using a pool pump makes the process much easier!
Chemical ingredients present in pool water can easily damage solar pool covers. High levels of chlorine and low pH can both lead to chemical corrosion. Moreover, it will cause bubbles along the surface of the cover or holes through its body.
To prevent this, you shouldn’t place your solar cover on a pool after shocking it. Furthermore, never use it when there is too much chlorine or too little pH in your pool water.
Herbert is a swimming enthusiast. Started career working as a lifeguard, and in pool maintenance. He loves to share his experience and recommendation on this blog.